Thursday, January 12, 2012

the recent days and stuff

so far so good. today is january 12th and we're getting closer and closer to having clean cupboards, free of processed foods of any type. for k and I, first. the kids have a few snacks, dehydrated fruits, granola bars, that they still enjoy and until I or K can make something comparable, i'm ok with still buying those things for the taters.
i conducted a small scale experiment with my two sons last week with oranges. since, well, since the first time i ever asked KZ if he wanted an orange he's said "no". or "no thank you" when I'm lucky. however, like most kids he drinks a lot of orange juice and when i make smoothies i put oranges in those and tell them that I did while he's drinking it. I don't think it's unusual to have a distinction like this at all. i could eat bacon all day long but i found pork chops repugnant. anyway, SZ our younger dude loves fruits and nuts. he doesn't have much of a taste for meats, neither beef nor chicken, really. he picks the pepperoni of pizza.
I grabbed two cutie oranges and sat on the couch. the cuties are perfect for sizes for kids. i peeled one and without even asking, SZ's mini hand extended towards me and he asked for an orange. i gave him a tiny slice. and KZ, while playing with his trash cans, peeked over to me, on the sly.
after a few shared slices between SZ and I, KZ was on his feet and standing next to SZ. he wanted some oranges. I didn't offer any. "Can I have some or-range?" he said it that cutely.
"of course buddy. they're delicious. AND they make ya healthy, feel good and give ya lots of energy."
"so I can run run run and up down up down up down with my trashcans all day?"
"you got it."
he didn't just like the oranges, we ate 7, between the three of us in that sitting.

but the larger point is that, as we, K and I, transform our eating habits, they'll take notice. and as we enjoy the benefits, they'll come around eventually with a hand out, ready to try something new. it may take a few months, years, who knows but i'm sure it'll happen.

beyond that, all has gone pretty well so far. we'll be receiving our first delivery from Beechgreens tomorrow and i'll list all the delicious items we'll be receiving from our local farmers.

the other night, we had some left over manicotti pasta. wifey sauteed some spinach with garlic and onions and used the rest of her soy cheese to fill the shells and it was DELICIOUS. wifey played it down, as she always does but damn it was simple, perfect and delectable.

next post will be about what i do for lunch, currently and what i hope it will morph into.

No comments:

Post a Comment