Wednesday, January 4, 2012

coincidence i think maybe

yesterday at work a good question was raised by a coworker.

c--al, so, you've mentioned a lot of vegetables with your csa and your garden, what will you do for your meats?
me--y'know, i'd thought of a few places that i'd like to buy from from but i haven't made any plans. i guess i hadn't thought of it to much lately.
c--so you'll be a vegetarian?
me--i suppose i will?

i later thought about that conversation during my drive home. c is my editor on a television show i work on. she and her man enjoy eating well. they are both vegetarian/vegan dieters. like myself, they love animals. i tend to eat them though. anyway, she's seen me devour burgers for lunch, sandwiches, most if not all of my lunches have included a meat portion, in short. she seemed a little surprised at my absent mindedness. made sense. when we have routines, they are often times deeply rooted. and most importantly, enjoyed to some degree on one level or another. it doesn't really make sense for me to just stop including meat. which, i'm not either.

one of the end goals of this excercise/experiment/reason to blog/ life pattern is to learn something new and/or teach myself something new. i want to unlearn all the patterns i've absorbed through my senses as i've been bombarded by billboards, commercials, radio jingles and every other type of advertisement, trying to buy my appetite and convince me to shuffle over to their factory produced robot food. i WISH it was robot food. because, in the end, we are what we eat.

i want to eat what's around. i don't want to plan on eating. i know i'll be hungry at some point in the day, so that is when i will consume something to satiate that hunger. i will differentiate between a temporary blip on my hunger radar and true, necessary vital consumption. up until now, if i felt a pang i threw a snickers at it. if i felt a slight hunger i'd grab some chips. maybe i'd have a dr pepper to wash it down. i can't lie, that sounds delicious right now. but, it's not in our house. and that's as far as i will hunt for my sustence tonight.

oh, i almost forgot, so today wifey texts and there's excitement. how can i tell an excited text from say, a sarcastic text? i can't. point being she was headed to a local CSA and there would be "a chicken guy" there. after checking it out on FARM LOT 59, a representative from a local chicken farm, i'll get the link, shows up on the first CSA of the month and he'll have chicken tonight. which means, i'll have chicken tonight.

coincidence? nope.

3 comments:

  1. hey, this "c" person sounds pretty smart :)

    i have millions of questions. like where will you get your dairy? will you bake your own breads or can you get that from csa/farmers market? how about cooking oils? or salt? also, how was the chicken dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you!
    The answers I have thus far as follows:
    Wifey is off dairy entirely. I don't drink it at home. I use it at work in my coffee and occasional bowl of cereal. I like the idea of raw milk. It makes sense to me. I've never had it. A friend has and he swears by it. Will the government keep me safe from myself and disallow this privilege? We shall see.

    I would like to get to the point of baking our own bread. From wheat berry to loaf, it sounds fun to me. There are local, direct buy spice places for salts and seasonings which we'll try out.

    As for cooking oils, I'm thinking cooking with strictly with raw butter. How will I find raw butter? not sure. I hadn't thought about so thanks for bringing it up! I can imagine growing peanuts for processing into oil. Or growing sunflowers maybe. When I do think about it there seem to be options.

    And you know how my chicken dinner was :) gonna write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for raw milk (and butter too, i think) try:

    http://organicpastures.com/

    type in your zip and it gives you a list of the stores and farmers markets that carry their stuff. i've had their whole milk and it is amazing. and they are "animal welfare certified" which means the cows are allowed to roam free and eat grass for most of the day. their calves are not taken away from them (this was important to me) and there is a strict limit on the number of times they can be milked per day.

    they come in plastic bottles, which surprised me because it didn't seem eco friendly. i inquired about this and they told me that they looked into glass bottles, but that the process by which glass bottles must be sterilized for re-use creates a significant amount of waste water, which then contaminates the grass the cows feed on. so they went with recycled plastic. i was impressed that they had given it all so much thought.

    ReplyDelete